The world is divided into various cultural differences, but every individual requires sleep for survival. That said, sleep may also come in various forms, but people are mostly categorized into three specific groups: the back sleepers, the stomach sleepers, and of course, the side sleepers.
These groups are unique in their respective ways, with certain needs and preferences to warrant them a restful sleep. These sleeping positions come with benefits and disadvantages, but the most puzzling of them all are side sleepers and their pressing needs.
If you’re one of them, you’ve come to the right place. This guide takes a look into the benefits and challenges surrounding side sleeping, as well as the best way to ensure that you make the most of your Sleep Number investment. Let’s begin.
What are the benefits of side sleeping?
The concept of side sleeping is reminiscent of babies, which is why most side sleepers characterize it as a natural sleeping position. They often curl up in a fetal position, the best pose that carries them off to sleep. It’s best for pregnant women, the snore sleepers, and even those who suffer from sleep-associated back and neck pain. Side sleepers also report fewer acid reflux occurrences.
What are the challenges surrounding the side sleeping position?
While the comfortability of side sleeping is undeniable, the position comes with certain drawbacks. Sleeping in a fetal position restricts your breathing, for instance, as curling up forces your lungs into a more compressed position. People who worry about the signs of aging should avoid side sleeping, as spending too many hours of face pressed against the pillow can lead to the development of wrinkles. Moreover, side sleeping can cause soreness, no matter the individual’s age.
How your Sleep Number can help
Thankfully, the challenges tied to side sleeping can be eliminated with proper support. This is exactly what your Sleep Number provides, provided that you find the right setting. Here’s what you can do:
- Step 1: Climb onto your bed and lie down, making sure that your pillows are propped up the way they are during actual sleep.
- Step 2: Grab your remote and press the home button. Select “Sleep Number” and use the arrows to explore the different settings.
- Step 3: Pay close attention to how the bed feels. The right setting depends on the user, but Sleep Number recommends bringing your setting up to 100 first. Press the down button and feel the bed get softer—find the right level.
- Step 4: Settle on a setting and experiment with it for a few days. If your body feels right against the mattress, you’ve found the right setting for you. The mattress should support the curves of your side, ensuring that you stay supported throughout the night.
- Step 5: If you wake up without any soreness, continue enjoying your new setting! You can now side sleep without worrying about possible pain.
The Best Smart Bed For Every Sleeping Position
Back sleeper, side sleeper, stomach sleeper—whatever category you fall into, the right bed must always be able to support your pressing needs. Every individual needs good sleep, especially after a long day of hard work. Not every bed offers what Sleep Number has, and if you’re already equipped with this amazing product, all you need to do is find the right setting for you—witness your restless nights turn into blissful dreams.
For more Sleep Number bed reviews, we’re the place to call. As a team passionate about all things sleep, we’ll make sure that you arrive at the best possible decisions, especially when it comes to investing in the right mattress.
Get the sleep you deserve—browse through our content!